Our Church Warden at St Michael the Archangel, North Cadbury
Caroline Joneleit Hope
Telephone: 01963 440683
Amenities and Activities
St Michaels is the largest church within the Camelot Group of Churches.
Our hymn singing is accompanied by the traditional church organ. We host over 20 weddings per year and baptisms usually take place within our church services.
We offer refreshments in church after services as an opportunity for fellowship, including an invitation to breakfast at a nearby house after the 8am Communion.
We have regular shared luncheons, Lent Luncheons, Harvest Luncheons which take place in the North Cadbury Village Hall.
Regular Special Church services are held in North Cadbury Church of England Primary School
Annual Advent and Carol services take place in our church and further information is available under the What’s On section of the website.
We host occasional Organ Recitals
Prayer and bible study meetings are organised by Steve and Caroline Joneleit-Hope and Delia Cuckney as part of the Small Groups meetings.
St.Michaels has regular bell ringing practice
Everybody is welcome to attend our services. For more details please see the What’s On section.
Giving thanks at St. Michael’s, North Cadbury
Your support will help us to…
Continue to offer regular worship, in addition to Baptisms, Weddings and Funerals, and those services which bring the community together at Christmas, Easter, Harvest, and Remembrance. Visit the sick, bereaved and others in pastoral need. Care for our church building, so that this focus for community and spiritual life can be passed on to future generations. Whilst we are greatly indebted to The Friends for their generous support, the day to day maintenance of the church and churchyard is the separate responsibility of the Parochial Church Council. Develop exciting new work with children and young people in collaboration with our church school and pre-school group.
Through giving his life for us, Jesus provided
the ultimate demonstration of God’s generosity.
Giving is at the centre of God’s character.
God gives us life, and his giving is renewed daily.
The form ” Donation, Regular Giving and Gift Aid form ” is available here:North Cad Form for Donations and gift aid (1)
Gift of talents
Keeping the church running and ready for worship involves many tasks from setting up for and attending services, through cleaning the church and organising repairs to completing the inevitable paperwork…and that is before considering the mission work! At St. Michael’s the Churchwardens take the vast majority of this work upon their shoulders. Not only is this unfair, it makes the job unnecessarily burdensome and unattractive to those who might otherwise offer themselves for this service to God.
The Friends of St. Michael’s
The Friends of St. Michael’s, North Cadbury was instituted in 1983, since when it has provided continuing financial support by which to finance the improvement and repair of the fabric of the Church.
The Friends are not necessarily regular attenders at the Church and many live far away but have a past connection with and affection for the Church. All share in one common objective which is to ensure that one of the finest Churches in Somerset is maintained to the highest possible standard and improved when necessarily, for the benefit of the present community and future generations.
Anyone wishing to become a Friend, either by arranging a Standing Order or by making a donation, should contact the Treasurer, Paddi Weller on: 01963 440147 or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Get in Contact
The church of St Michael the Archangel stands in a large churchyard approached from an avenue on the southern edge of the village. It forms with the Elizabethan North Cadbury Court and the Georgian former Rectory ‘an uncommonly fine picture’ in the words of Nikolaus Pevsner. Built by Lady Elizabeth Botreaux in 1420 it was intended ‘to establish therin a perpetual college of seven chaplains, one to preside and to be called the Rector of the College of St Michael the Archangel’. But the priests seemed never to have arrived. This grand perpendicular church with huge chancel, nave, arcades, clerestories, ailes and uniquely matching north and south porches was added to an existing tower. Some tasteful restoration dates from the 19th century.
Significant features in the church and churchyard
View from the west end noting timber ‘Somerset’ roof with tie-beams and king posts, more elaborate by former Rood suspended from the panelled chancel arch on which can be seen staples for fixing it and and the shroud for covering it in Lent
Bench ends dating from the 1530’s the chief glory of this glorius church – which is your favourite – Virgin and Child, medieval portraits, church, heads nose to nose, cat and mousetrap, crane, man and donkey, another?
Stained glass – east window of Our Lord in Majesty by Clayton and Bell; west window by Dennis King, Norwich incorporating eight 15th century saints
Two-storey porches with stone lierne vaults – north , a priest’s room with spy holes without and within the church; south, a strong room
Furnishings – perpendicular font; attractive painted organ case; peal ofsix bells dating from the 18th century in the tower
Magnificent 19th century reredos with four 20th century statues of the evangelists by Lyn Constable-Maxwell
Three chest tombs under the tower, one with effigies presumed of William and Elizabeth Botreaux c.1400. two c.1600
On north wall pre-Reformation mensa (stone altar) with five crosses representing the Wounds of Christ
Sedilia (seats for clergy); piscina
Vestry with letters of the alphabet indicating use as a schoolroom
Chancel with high windows to allow for stalls
20th century lavatory – for your convenience
On northwest aisle window a pintel for fixing a shutter to protect the glass from damage by fives players
On south chancel wall a buttress a mass or scratch dial (type of sundial)
Ornate porches with statues in niches and sundial on south porch
Fine view of remarkable perpendicular 15th century church
On stable wall, Redemption Sculpture by John Robinson
Extensive view from tower, especially towards Cadbury Castle
Windows with solid ferramenta (ironwork)