Our Church Wardens
Telephone: 01963 441310
Leni van Klaveren
Telephone: 01963 440373
Amenities and activities
Our first service following the easing of the coronavirus restrictions will be a Communion service at 9.30am on Sunday August 23rd. Please follow the directions for social distancing and use the hand sanitiser provided if attending the service.
The church building will also be open for private prayer for an hour and a half from 10.00am on Sunday August 9th. Please maintain social distancing and use the hand sanitiser provided when entering and leaving the Church.
The church of St Thomas a Becket South Cadbury lies in the shadow of the mighty Iron Age hill fort, Cadbury Castle. The name Cadbury means in old English, stronghold or fortified place belonging to Cada. Although rebuilt in the perpendicular style in the 15th century, the arcade within indicates that a church with chancel, nave, south aisle and tower existed in the 13th or 14th centuries. In 1835 the south aisle was rebuilt and in 1874 the chancel was remodelled by the Revd James Bennett, Rector 1866-90, who is commemorated in the Mary and Martha window in the chancel.
Special features in the church and churchyard
Furnishings – 19th century font; pulpit of Bath stone dated 1874 which emerges from the recess which once housed the food staircase; reredos behind the altar, a 19th century Crucifixion scene by Thomas Earp of Lambeth
Piscina and squint – window which allows the synchronization of the raising of the Host (bread representing the Body of Christ) between the side and main altars – thus indicating the presence of a side altar
In the south aisle – fragment of 15th century wall painting, a mitred bishop which may represent St Thomas martyred 1170 to whom the church is dedicated, revealed in the splay of a window of the original south aisle
Stained glass windows by Clayton and Bell: east window – the Ascension; chancel – Mary and Martha; south transept – the Annunciation
13th or 14th century with arcade with quartrefoil pillers, moulded capitols, and idiosyncratic ringed responds (half pillars)
15th century nave panelled ceiling with carved bosses and angel brackets
View of church and fine tower with pinnacles, gargoyles, and turreted staircase against Cadbury Castle.
Panelled chancel arch typical of local perpendicular architecture
Peal of six bells dating from the 18th century in the tower
Three mature trees – yew, tulip, and ginko
“For the word of God will never fail.”